Smith & Fuller principal, Hugh N. Smith, has represented both plaintiffs and tire company defendants in tire failure cases since the 1970's – a level of experience in the field that few lawyers nationwide can claim. Aside from his extensive experience over the last thirty years in bringing justice to those whose lives have been shattered by needless tragedies involving failed tires, from 1974 through 1986, Mr. Smith represented The BFGoodrich Company, one of the world’s largest tire manufacturers, in all of its tire failure cases filed in Florida. He tried a large number of those cases to verdict.In the process of defending BFGoodrich, Mr. Smith learned as an insider how tires are built, how they are designed, and why tires sometimes fail and cause tragic accidents.
For the last fifteen years, Mr. Smith has taken his experience from representing the tire industry and used it to help those who have suffered at the hands of tire companies. He now focuses his attention entirely on representing those who have sustained catastrophic injuries or the deaths of family members as a result of defective tires or other automotive products. Mr. Smith’s results speak for themselves.
The verdicts and settlements noted herein are but a representative sample of numerous cases that Smith & Fuller, P.A., has settled or taken to trial with successful results for their clients. Many cases have settled in the multi-million dollar range, but specific amounts cannot be disclosed due to tire company insistence that the terms remain confidential.
As noted, Smith & Fuller, P.A. does not limit its practice to Florida. The firm has successfully tried and settled cases across the country for its clients. The firm today has cases ongoing in California, New Mexico, Texas, Arkansas, Utah, Florida, Arizona, and other states as well. The firm is available to act as lead counsel or co-counsel in cases pending anywhere in the United States involving failed tires
While no attorney can guarantee results in any given case, some of the representative cases handled by Smith & Fuller are as follows:
- $1,000.000 plus confidential settlement reached against tire maker for McAllen, Texas family
- Family of pregnant woman killed while traveling to parents' home in Roswell, N.M. received large confidential settlement from Japanese tire manufacture.
- Multi-million dollar confidential settlement for El Paso, Texas family paid by vehicle and tire manufacturer.
- Hugh Smith, representing widow of man stabbed by tree limb in a tire separation accident occurring in Monahans, Texas, obtains large confidential settlement against tire manufacturer.
- Tire manufacturer settled multi-million dollar claim for death of young husband in Salt Lake City, Utah. Family represented by Smith & Fuller, P.A.
- Sarasota, Florida college student received seven figure confidential for injuries received following tread separation of tire
- Manufacturer of 15 passenger van and tire maker agreed to pay millions to settle death from rollover accident in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Santa Fe, N.M. case resolved on the morning of trial for millions.
- Hope, Arkansas accident resulted in significant settlement relating to severe injuries to the mother of a tire builder using the company's product.
- Smith & Fuller represents orphan victims of fuel-fed fire. Multi-million settlement with vehicle manufacturer in Santa Fe, N.M, just weeks before trial set to begin.
- Midland, Texas case settled in multi-million confidential agreement for death of woman employed in the petroleum industry.
- Pirelli agreed to pay orphaned boy represented by Hugh Smith, of Florida, $17.7 million in Sarasota woman's death following a tread separation accident.
- Attorney Hugh Smith and co-council obtain jury verdict in El Paso, Texas against tire maker Cooper tire for $11,000,000 for the deaths of three woman following 3 month trial.
- Smith and Fuller, P.A., obtain jury verdict of more than $5.4 million dollars for death of father of young boy arising from tire accident caused by Italian tire manufacturer.
- Record confidential settlement reached with major tire and SUV Manufacturer for Tampa, Florida resident, after Smith & Fuller obtains favorable punitive damages ruling.
- Most money ever paid by vehicle and tire manufacturer for the avoidable death of a 19 year old college student arising from a tread separation and vehicle rollover in case brought in Clearwater.
- Goodyear quietly settles suit from rollover of van transporting six migrant workers, killing two.
- Smith & Fuller facilitate significant settlement for the death of two adult men in a rollover in Nevada from tire, vehicle manufacturers and retailer of tire.